It’s clear that Brexit is affecting many fields on our daily life, such a free of movement, but it also has an impact on our pets, especially when we travel on holidays from GB to the EU.

From 1 January 2021 Great Britain (GB) has become a third country with respect to the EU Pet Travel Scheme. Therefore EU pet passports issued by Official Veterinarians (OVs) in GB will no longer be valid to travel to Europe.

You will still be able to take your dog from England, Scotland and Wales to the EU, but you will need to follow a different procedure. 

From now on you will need to obtain an animal health certificate (AHC).

The AHC confirms that your pet is microchipped and vaccinated against rabies.

The rules apply to guide dogs as well.

You will need to get a new certificate each time you travel with your pet and you must obtain it within 10 days of the date you travel. The document is valid for four months, for a single trip into the EU, onward travel within the EU and for re-entry to Great Britain.

An AHC is valid for: 

  •  10 days after the date of issue for entry into the EU
  •  A single trip for entry to the EU
  •  Onward travel within the EU for 4 months after the date of issue
  •  Re-entry to GB for 4 months after the date of issue. 

The certificate will be issued by your vet and this process will begin on 22 December.

On arrival to the EU, you will need to enter through a designated travellers’ point of entry, listed on the EU website here.

Pet owners travelling with more than 5 pets, and not attending or training for a competition, show or sporting event, must follow the commercial rules for importing animals.

Northern Ireland?

If you want to take your dog from England, Scotland or Wales to Northern Ireland, you will have to obtain an AHC, as if you were going on holiday to the EU, same rules apply.

Guidance is available on GOV.UK

Mario Opazo | Super Paws